Lukas Plays Around - Games From the World's Smartest Horse

Following Lukas' second bout of impaction colic (due to dehydration), I became nervous about his water intake. As strong and powerful as they look, horses' digestive systems are surprisingly delicate. Unlike cattle who have several stomachs, horses have only one small stomach that functions best if never quite full and continually lubricated. Horses are unable to vomit because of a one-way valve between the esophagus and stomach, and they need a minimum of 5 - 10 gallons of water per day. Most horses will lick a salt block which then activates their thirst mechanism and things go smoothly. In Lukas' case, however, he completely ignored any type of additive blocks or electrolytes, so I used loose salt mixed in with his evening mash. I also wondered if I could teach him to drink water. Could an automatic, reflexive behavior be put on cue?

So began the water test. "Lukas, drink your water now," I stated and pointed to the bucket. Incredulous, Lukas looked at me and then stared at his water. As if to placate me, he lightly grazed his lips over the water's surface. "That's right, now drink it, buddy," I told him. Lukas responded by dunking his lips into the bucket and coming up dripping. "Stay there and swallow, Lukas," I directed. Once again, he dipped his lips and held them still in the water while glancing up at me. Amazed, I busted out laughing, I could tell he was pretending to drink because his throat muscles hadn't moved and no slurpy sounds were coming from his mouth. "That's not drinking, Lukas," I playfully scolded him. By now, he had enough; he dropped his mouth deeply into the bucket, sloshed it against the side and thoroughly drenched me. We continue to use this game for summer fun. I did increase his loose salt though to be certain he drank enough water.

Here's yet another deceptive ploy of his. Every night I cut up Lukas' carrots for the next day, taking them out of the refrigerator so they'll be room temperature and chopping them into little pieces. I may have gotten carried away with the small size on one occasion. The next day as we were practicing the yawn, I popped a carrot piece into his open mouth as a reward for his effort. Lukas' head dropped, his mouth shut and he eyed me woefully. Had he dropped it accidentally? I checked the ground and didn't see anything. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I offered him another... only to see the previous carrot sliver resting on his tongue! Now, whenever he thinks the carrot piece is too small, he insists on a second helping. When had he become so creative?

Play seems to be an absolute necessity for Lukas. Theories abound regarding the role of play behavior in animals. Many scientists regard play as an encoded programmed activity of youth. Prey animals practice dodging and darting to avoid being eaten, and predators improve their abilities to catch and kill their meals. Lukas is as playful now at age 18 as he was at half his age. His manner of playing though has evolved to a different level. Years ago, he was intent on only running fast. The wind in his face was enough to give him pleasure.

As his thinking developed and his understanding improved, games interested him more and more. Evaluating, assessing and solving became his new preoccupation. Solo liberty play turned into flamboyant twists and turns, hops and jumps, as if choreographing an elaborate dance. Fast and furious were replaced with fancy - all done right in front of me, of course. At the finale of every performance, he finishes with a towering rear as if to proclaim, "I'm the man - it is ME that Karen belongs to!" As I clap in enthusiastic approval, Lukas poses in pride. Mental games are his ultimate preference. As I set up his desk, he emits a low rumbling sound "huhuhuhuhu". While I choose the game, Lukas repeatedly touches his tabletop as if to say, "Put it here, right here, let's go."

Thoroughbreds are a breed of extremes. Their energy and spirit set them apart from all other types of horses. Bred for centuries for speed and heart, they developed in the 1600's to become the supreme athlete. Their raw power enables them to excel in all levels of competition including the Olympics. Clocked at over 40 miles per hour, they're frequently used to improve other breeds worldwide. The Thoroughbred registry is the only one that requires live cover (no artificial insemination) exclusively to prove foal bloodlines. In my opinion, this gives them an added edge - something special related to an actual event between two creatures. That Lukas is so attached to his desk and focusing on his tasks is probably the most astounding surprise to most people, yet this shows his devotion and loyalty like nothing else could.

Copyright 2012 Karen Murdock is a retired psychiatric nurse, who has been fixing problem horses for over 30 years. Owner of PlayingWithLukas.com. She uses a combination of shaping techniques, a specialized version of clicker training and positive reinforcement. Her unique approach uses games and play as a way to connect and bond with horses to develop confidence, increase focus, improve performance as well as build willingness and trust. All of her services and proceeds go to benefit the horses.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment